Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Hard Act to Follow

How do I follow up a month of blogging from Paris? Now that I'm home, there's no excitement, no museums, no wonderful sights to share with you. It's back to reality once again.

Let me give you some closure, though, by telling you about our trip home, our last adventure.

We left the apartment at 8:00 on Sunday morning. We had a car hired to take us to the airport and we made the poor driver walk up those 107 steps twice to take down our suitcases. Oh, don't feel too sorry for him - he was young and healthy, and he complained plenty. I made sure to let him know that had I lugged my own suitcase up those stairs when we arrived.

We got to Charles de Gaulle airport with lots of time to spare before our flight and then... our plane was delayed for three hours! That meant we missed our connection in Toronto and had to wait in line for what seemed like forever to be booked on another flight. I was booked on the 6:15 pm flight, but Sandi wasn't scheduled to leave until 10:45 pm. Luckily, she was on stand-by for the same flight as me and was the very last person on. I didn't know this until we arrived in Edmonton and I spent the whole plane ride feeling guilty about my good fortune.

So, nearly 24 hours later, I arrived home. It was soooo good to see Mr. P and the Wild Things. The OnlyChild took off for Prince Edward Island two days before I got home; she comes back tomorrow.

In the past week (I can't believe I've been home for a week already), I've slept lots, taken AbbyDog for walks in the river valley, done the usual chores and - stupidly - decided to do some painting.

Remember this?

This is my sewing room - a tremendous mess by any standard. I decided to move everything out and put it in the spare room across the hall.

The spare bedroom was entirely filled with my crap. Who knew I had so much stuff crammed into that little tiny sewing room?

I planned to paint all the trim and then perhaps paint the walls a lovely buttery yellow.

I got the trim painted but then I ran out of both time and motivation to paint the walls, so they'll have to stay beige for now. I'm in the process of moving everything back in to the sewing room. The big stuff - furniture, books, etc. - is easy. It's all that little stuff that's killing me. Where do I put it?

If I ever get things straightened out, I'll have a Ta-Da post to show you my new, tidy sewing room.

But it will have to wait a bit... I go back to work tomorrow.



Pat said...

Oh, my...I can relate to lugging the small stuff in and out of the sewing room as I need to do that when the grands are they need to sleep in the "sewing room" (which is actually their bedroom here. Have a good first-day-back-at-work.

Barb said...

I am so glad that you arrived home safely and had a tremendous time in Paris...I loved reading your blog, not always commenting but reading. Thanks for taking me with you.

I do want to see the Ta Da moment...welcome back!

Patty said...

Cleaning and organizing my sewing room is an exercise in futility, it looks great for about 2 minutes then it 's a complete disaster. I feel your pain I go back to work tomorrow too.So not looking forward to it. Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Tangos Treasures said...

Glad your home!! Loved all the Paris posts! Bummer you didn't get the room painted!

PunkiePie said...

Welcome back! And get to work! Get that room painted. You'll feel so much better about it when it's done. :)

Thimbleanna said...

Sounds like you're getting all settled back at home. As for all the small stuff -- declutter. {So says the one who can't manage to do it herself and has too. much. crap. I'm going to live vicariously through your clean out LOL!}

Tonya's Sewing Room said...

welcome back to the US and back to work