Sunday, June 12, 2011

And finally, something creative

I checked back in my posts, and discovered that I have been talking about making the Frayed Tunic Dress from Sew Serendipity since February.


February! Wow, I am such a go-getter.

Today, the stars finally aligned and I got the pieces cut out.

But the day wasn't without its trials. I had work to do today. Not marking - I finished that yesterday - but work for my course as well as some learning materials to write for classes I will teach next year. But, technology let me down and I couldn't open up some files. I took that as a sign that I should be doing something else...like sewing!

I got out my book, fabric, pins, sewing shears and took it all downstairs to the entryway where there is a fairly big, open space. I laid it all out and... Confusion! My foggy little brain just could not figure out this pattern, and I never cut until I'm quite sure I know what I'm supposed to be doing. (Okay that's a lie - and those who know me are probably laughing now. Right, Mum? But I didn't want to ruin this fabric because I love it so much!)


Oh, I was frustrated.

You know what I did? I emailed Kay Whitt, the author of Sew Serendipity. And you know what she did? She emailed me right back. Within minutes. And she solved my problem. The fog cleared, the sun came out, angels sang...well, not really, but I did manage to get my dress cut out. And here's proof:



Bernice has new grey thread, I've cleared some of the clutter from my sewing table, and I think I'm ready to go.

It's been so long. I wonder if I've forgotten how to sew...

6 comments:

Vesuviusmama said...

What wonderful fabric - I look forward to seeing the dress. And honestly, you probably couldn't have worn that dress in February, right? Now that it is warmer, sewing a dress makes more sense. Finally, I sure get a sense of pattern designers as super accessible from things I hear from people in blogland who've contacted them with questions. Creative AND helpful - who could ask for more?

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Good for you to get something creative in today. I can't wait to see the dress. I hope I don't have to wait until NEXT February for the big unveiling! LOL!!

Pat said...

How nice that you got such a quick reply when you had questions about the pattern. That kind of service is outstanding.....especially on a Sunday!!! Now sew that dang dress up quickly and model it for a picture for us, okay?

andsewon said...

Cute dress and love the fabric choice. How nice that she got back to you so quickly! I have another dress cut out too need to get it done up. Nothing too complicated.

Thimbleanna said...

Oooooh fun! You're making much better progress than I am -- I've had a shirt cut out for almost as long as your dress has been planned. Can't wait to see your new dress!

Barb said...

I love the fabric....