Sunday, September 02, 2012

Back to School Sewing

School started up again on Thursday. The students don't come until after the long weekend, but we teachers had staff meetings, department meetings, planning, organizing, etc. to take care of.

I wasn't thrilled to return to work. I know, I know...I had the whole summer off. I hear that all the time. But remember back in June I mentioned some ugliness that occurred at the end of last school year? Well, that's why I wasn't looking forward to going back. It hasn't sorted itself out and my cross-your-fingers plan hasn't amounted to anything (yet), so I pretty much had no choice.

To cheer myself up, I decided to make a back to school dress for Tuesday.

A while back, I bought some nice grey fabric (a real score at $4/metre!), planning to make a dress from Simple Modern Sewing. I made a shirt from that book instead (I forgot to take a picture), which meant that I had some fabric left over. I knew just the dress to make from Sew Serendipity.

With a bit of finangling and head-scratching, I managed to make 2m of fabric work for a pattern that called for over 3yds.

And here it is:


Please excuse the dorky picture, the dirty mirror and my bare feet (I actually have a killer pair of shoes to wear with this dress).

Hey, I started and finished something - in ONE day!

p.s. Blogger is being a pain. Apparently, I have used up all my photo capacity. I had to delete pictures from a Picasa album in order to upload this one photo. What I didn't realize (but should have) is that those pictures are now deleted from my blog, and they were my Paris pics from last Christmas :(

9 comments:

Lynne said...

I sincerely hope that the whole situation works itself out very soon!

Melanie said...

Loving the dress. Good luck with work. x Melanie

Gene Black said...

Here is hoping that the ugliness just goes away!
I am wondering when I will have my Picasa album full. Hmmm...If I can remember how, I will have to go in and check.

Sarah said...

You can buy more picture storage. I hate having to do it, and they raised the cotton picking price (by a lot!) this year, but there you go.

Pokey said...

Lookin' good, girl! You'll have to show you dressed for school, too.
I'm feeling your pain w/situations at school. I'm praying good will come from it all ~
:-}pokey

Tangos Treasures said...

Love the dress!!! Praying it all works out at work for u!!!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a pretty dress.. I bet you will feel a million dollars wearing that :-)

Hope things sort themselves soon. I always go with the adage that all will be ok in the end and if it's not ok.. it's not the end. ((hugs))

Julie Fukuda said...

I'm so sorry you have to return to an unhappy situation. Beginning a new school year is challenge enough and teaching should be a happy and rewarding job. Your quilty blogging friends are pulling for you.

andsewon said...

Love that pattern! May need to sew me up one. Lost some weight so a few dresses may be needed!;-)
Hope ugly goes away once and for all or at least stops being an issue!
Hugs,
Lola