Saturday, February 09, 2013

Finishes

Hello...I didn't mean to let a whole week pass between posts. I have things to show you!

First of all, I finished the Scallop quilt last Sunday. I did some easy echo-quilting around the curves, just like in the original project on Stitched in Color.


I feel like I should have done something more ambitious with the wide open area but if I had to decide what to do, this little quilt would never get done.

I'm going to send it off to my friend Bethany. She had a baby boy a few months ago and I'm very behind in sending her a gift. This will be perfect.


My next project for Curves Class was an Orange Peel block. Man, this took ages! I mean, seriously, hours! Every piece was cut by hand and all those curves had to be meticulously pinned. I cannot imagine making a whole quilt out of this block. That being said, I'd definitely do it again. I love how it looks!


Instead of making another pillow, which was the project, I decided to sew mine up into a mini quilt. It's 16" square - the right size for a table mat or a little wallhanging.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to finish my sock monkey postage stamp quilt top. I finally received the fabric I need to get it done and I have absolutely no obligations tomorrow (except to finish the laundry and clean the bathroom). 

Having no marking on the weekends is heaven! Getting home from work at 5:00 pm kind of sucks - I had been leaving school by 3:15 pm at the other job. But usually, I had a bag of stuff to do and now when I'm done, I'm done. It's a bit of an adjustment - and talk to me in the summer when I don't get July and August off - but so far I'm liking the new job. I miss my students and some of my colleagues, but I don't miss the marking or the staff politics, or the bullshit. I think I made a good trade.

And look what my yoga card said today:


How perfect is that!



6 comments:

Karen said...

Perfect yoga card for you! Congratulations on the new job. The quilt looks grand!

andsewon said...

WOW I 'hear' all good energy in this post!! Congrats on it all!!! That is one cute baby gift! Perfect yoga card too!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

It's a beauty and a wonderful baby gift. The yoga card is just perfect for your current work situation. Love it!

Kathy S. said...

Nice finish. What great colors too.

Thimbleanna said...

Haha -- the yoga card tells all. I love the way you quilted the scallop quilt -- perfect -- the lines draw your eyes to the scallops. What a fun baby gift.

And the orange peel! That would be a very cool quilt. C'mon -- you know you want to....

Anonymous said...

It's a beauty and a wonderful