Thursday, December 24, 2009

The First Snowman (and other stories)

This is what started it all... this crazy snowman collecting. The First Snowman - given to me by my mother about 10 or 12 years ago.

He's perched quite happily atop two antique quilts I bought at an auction on Prince Edward Island.

Also in the cubbies above the front hall closet are these two darlings. The pink one on the right was a gift from the OnlyChild when she was in grade six. She bought it herself from a church craft sale and was so proud of her purchase that she gave it to me early. She tends to do that quite often.

This little fella is propped up with a bottle of something. Me, I tend to fall over when I have a bottle of something inside me...


And then there's the skier. He looks a little unbalanced - maybe he has a bottle inside him too?


We don't have a fire in our fireplace. It has been long sealed over, unfortunately. We do, however, have a snowman and snowballs in the fireplace. Ironic.


A picture to show the mantle with the Dickens Village houses and the mantle scarf I made a couple of years ago to replace the ratty old piece of quilt batting that was masquerading as 'snow'.


The OnlyChild's Christmas Eve present for this year - a set of pillowcases made from this tutorial. She will also receive new pajamas and a silly snowman plate-bowl-mug breakfast set (I couldn't resist).


The presents are wrapped, the stockings are hung, the turkey is defrosting and Mr. P is napping on the couch under a quilt with a dog or two.
.
We are ready for Christmas and for our réveillon de Noël, which as per family tradition, will consist of meat pie after Midnight Mass (which actually takes place at 8:00 pm at our church, not at midnight as the name suggests).
.
To all my bloggy friends, and to those I actually know in person:
.

Joyeux Noël à tous et à tous une bonne nuit!

14 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Love your snowmen!
Wishing you & yours a blessed Christmas.
Love Tango

Dogwood said...

What a great collection of darling snowmen. I love them. They are all so different and creative. What fun to unpack them each Christmas and display them around the house.

Wishing you a wonderful family Holiday with your family.

Sara said...

Love the snowmen...and I especially like the Pillowcases. They are very pretty!

Unknown said...

i love all your snowmen....merry christmas

Patty said...

Merry Christmas Rachel!

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Merry Christmas! Love your snowmen collection, so fun!

Jeanne Oliver said...

One of my best friends loves snowmen too and I always try to get her a new one each year. Merry Christmas.

Pat said...

Love your snowmen and the pillowcases you made for your daughter. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas day.

Stacy said...

I like your snowman collection-- the skier is particularly cute. It must be fun bringing them out every year and placing them around your home. The new background looks great. Hope you had a wonderful holiday.

Thimbleanna said...

A very fun collection! I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Wonderful snowman collection! Merry Christmas (a little late) and a Happy and Healthy 2010!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Nice collection of snowmen. You can even leave those out in Jan. I have a ton of snowmen too. I used to put them on my mantel. Maybe next year.
I hope you had a wonderful holiday.
How was that meat pie???
Hugs
Sharon

Pam said...

A very jolly collection!

Unknown said...

I love all the snowmen! I love the snowballs in the fireplace too!