Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Zills!

Zills are little finger cymbals used in belly dancing. I started a new dance class last night (it was awesome!) and we will be using zills in our choreography; I've never used them before so I had to buy a set.


They're very pretty. But here's the bag they came in:


Blah! Boring!

Since Swoon and I still aren't on speaking terms (or I'm too afraid to try again right now), I decided to do a little low-stakes sewing this evening and I made a zills pouch.


I used Anna's Gathered Clutch tutorial and just decreased the width. It's the perfect size to hold the zills and it just makes them that much more special.

In other news, we have entered the deep freeze. We've had surprisingly mild weather this winter with temperatures barely below freezing. That all came to an end on the weekend. We got snow and now we have extreme cold. Tomorrow it's supposed to be -47° Celsius (that's -52.6° F) with the wind chill. Brrrr!


Sounds pretty crappy, eh? I had to think really hard to find an upside to that kind of weather, but I did manage:
1. The dogs don't linger when they go out to do their business so I don't have to stand on the steps begging, pleading, and finally using my stern teacher voice to get them to come in.
2. It's a good excuse to take out the slow cooker. We had beef stew for supper tonight. Mmmm.
3. I have no problem justifying my reluctance to go out in the evenings. I can stay inside and sew!

Stay warm, friends.

12 comments:

Sara said...

It's just to damn cold to go out - yesterday it was miserable here.

Love the little bag you made for your zills...

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Stay warm! We are even having a deep freeze warning in CA right now. Crazy change from our mild temps last week. Love your little zills pouch!

Lynne said...

Neat idea! Good on you!

I won't tell you that it's 31.5°C (89°F) here right now (6pm) and we're having seafood and salad for dinner!

Sarah said...

Does the car start when it is that cold? (curious)

Thimbleanna said...

Holy Cow Woman - stay inside! Can you teach your classes over the Internet LOL??? Just stay home and see more cute pouches - you know you want to!!!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

That cat poster brought back a Canadian memory of that feeling when the stuff in your nose freezes because its so cold! Ah the Canadian childhood...there are some special memories there!

Keep warm!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Dang girl! That is COLD. I would never leave the house! Good excuse to hiberate and sew. Cute zills bag too. :)

Barb said...

I hate to be cold....

Swoon probably misses you....

Stacy said...

Your zills pouch is gorgeous, Rachel! Hey, can you post a video of your dance/zills performance one of these days? :o)

Pat said...

Cute little bag you made. A little birdie told me that your dogs might not linger outside, BUT....they might not always be taking care of ALL their business out there, either. Oh, wait...the little birdie that mentioned that was YOU...on Facebook today!!! LOL

Vesuviusmama said...

I can't even wrap my mind around - 52 degrees...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking up with us, I love the gathered clutch being repurposed!!