Friday, June 05, 2009

Why do today what you can put off for the weekend?

Greetings on a rainy Friday afternoon. I'm sitting in my office at school, marking essays and occasionally looking out the window at the dreary day. The sky is grey, the air is cold, and all I can think of is... Rain! Rain is good for the garden.

I think I may be a little obsessed with this gardening thing.

I have no pictures to show you, yet, of my new green babies. By the time I got to the garden to water last night, it was almost 10 o'clock and the sun had gone down. Not ideal light for taking pictures of miracles. If the sun makes an appearance this weekend, I'll walk or ride my bike over and photograph the little lettuce leaves... and I think I saw an onion shoot last night.

The lilac tree in the backyard is now in full bloom. I cut some of the sprigs and placed them in a glass in my office. For two days, I have the pleasure of the delightful aroma of lilac whenever I walk in there. Of course, lilacs cut from the tree don't last long so I'll have to dispose of them before I leave work today. But the backyard smells heavenly.

My plans for the weekend:
  • go to the gym
  • start the final project for my masters course (due June 22 - I'd better get crackin' on it!)
  • clean the house (always on the weekend to-do list)
  • try, try, try to find time to sew my May BOM blocks. I know, it's June...

So... what are you doing this weekend?

People keep telling me to find some time to relax. Huh? I was laying in bed last night thinking sleep is a waste of time. I want to get up and do something. Then I fell asleep. Thank goodness my body is sometimes smarter than my brain!


Okay, back to those essays...

8 comments:

Pat said...

I am just hoping for sunshine this weekend.....because a lot of our shrubbery is going WILD and needs some serious trimming. I can't let hubby go out and do it as he just cuts away without giving any thought to the final look, though. So.....I have to go out and watch over things. I hope we get to see photos of your garden stuff soon!!!

Sue said...

That comic is so funny!! I am the morning glory at our house.....I look like the other flower by 5:30pm. My husband and daughter are night owls and my son and I are Morning Glorys. I can stay up late if I am in the middle of an artsy project though. Once I hit my stride, I don't like to stop even if it is 1am. I hope you see the sun soon!
Blessings~LillySue

Thimbleanna said...

Hahaha -- cute cartoon. I hope you have a good weekend -- it sounds like it will be busy. I'll be sewing -- or I'll burst!

Unknown said...

It's been raining here as well. But, you know me. I'll take anything over the hot humid heat. Plans for the weekend, work on my turtle quilt.

Sara said...

Love the cartoon - I have to say I would be the grumpy one wondering why I married a morning glory!

We have actually had a nice few days...I really like that you are enjoying your garden so much...

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel! What am I doing this weekend? --asking for help! We need dog scarf decorators to help us for the abandoned dogs....hope you are decorating one! Please stop by and see the second post if you haven't yet.

love, kelee

Holee said...

wow, it's Sunday, I missed the weekend! Where did it go? I have a list with nothing crossed out. The sun came out for 4 hours yesterday and 6 today. I sort of just sat on the porch and looked at it since it's been a rare showing.

I should do okay with the list this week. It's going to rain everyday. I hope you didn't miss the weekend!

Stacy said...

That's funny you were thinking that sleep is a waste of time ... lately I've been coming alive around 10 or 11 at night and wanting to do all sorts of things when I really should be sleeping. It's so strange.

Love the morning glory cartoon.