Friday, September 02, 2011

First Week

Wow! It's Friday!

I am just exhausted after my first week back at work. It's been a good week, but very busy. Between getting everything ready at school and preparing the OnlyChild for moving this weekend, I haven't had a single minute to work on my two unfinished projects - the Halloween cat wall-hanging and the Patisserie quilt. I really wanted to have a project completed to show you today, but I guess it will have to wait until things calm down a bit.

I do want to share something with you, though.

A few months ago, I contacted Melinda to ask if she would make a special little quilt for the OnlyChild. My blog friend Deb had commissioned Melinda to make a quilt of her Jack Russell Terriers a while back and I thought it was wonderful. I sent Melinda a few pictures of Abby, Derby and Bosun (now deceased) and she created this amazing piece of art:


I gave it to the OnlyChild a couple of days ago and she was completely over the moon! She almost cried when she saw how well Melinda had captured the personality and unique look of each of the pups. I think Melinda's work is incredible! (Thank you again, Melinda!)

This art quilt will hang in the OnlyChild's residence room - a little piece of home to help her adjust. I'm driving her down to school on Sunday...and driving back by myself on Monday. It's going to be a big adjustment for both of us but I'm so excited for her. I loved being in university and I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.

I'll let you know how things go, and maybe snap a few pictures of her dorm room to show you.

Have a wonderful long weekend!

12 comments:

Lynne said...

That is an awesome piece of art!

I wish you both all the best for the trip and the days following!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I just LOVE our doggies art/quilt. Melinda is amazing!!!
Have a great weekend too.
Warmly,
deb

Dogwood said...

What a sweet gift for onlychild. Such cute doggie faces. She will treasure it for a long time I am sure.
Had to believe that you are already back at school!
Wow, summer did go by so fast.
Have a fun weekend.

Barb said...

Wow, that is a fabulous quilt!

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

That is an amazing art quilt!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- what a cool little quilt. And a wonderful keepsake for the only child.

Good Luck this weekend. Take tissues and have fun!

Patty said...

I love Melinda's work and this is fabulous! What a perfect gift for your daughter and her first year away at school.

What Comes Next? said...

What a wonderful piece of art! Have a safe trip there and back, and I do hope the school year settles down quickly and you'll have time to sew!

Pat said...

Great doggie quilt and don't be surprised if you are crying most of the way home. It IS a big adjustment for everyone!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Wow!!! That looks awesome!

Stacy said...

Oh my gosh, Rachel, that quilt is just amazing. So beautiful. I can see why OnlyChild was over the moon. I would love to have one of my cats.

Hard to believe summer is over and you are back at work all ready. Hope you are enjoying the trip.

Unknown said...

I saw it hanging in her room and I had to wipe away a tear....I love that she loves it!!!!