Friday, May 07, 2021

A new project!

 

I've done a few projects during my absence. I'm definitely not as prolific as I used to be, quilting and sewing every weekend and in every stolen moment in the evenings. I did complete a couple of little quilts at the end of 2020. This one, pictured above, was made for my cousin who had a baby. I'm ashamed to say the baby was born in July but the quilt wasn't delivered until January. The circular pattern was a challenge - I had to tweak the seams a few times to get it to lie flat - but I love how it turned out. I made a little drawstring bag with some leftover fabric and filled it with board books (my favourite gift to give a new baby).


Another baby, born in May, received her quilt in September. This is a charm quilt, so every square is different. I included a list of items to search for so it also became an I Spy quilt. It was simple, but I think it's very sweet.


And, yes, you might remember this quilt. I can't even recall when I started this Dresden Plate - years ago! I finished it last May. I was really happy with the way it turned out; maybe it was worth the wait. I have another quilt top - a red and grey bowtie - that needs to be sandwiched and quilted but I picked up some batting for a new project yesterday and it was $103 for a twin-sized Warm and Natural at the fabric store so I had to stop at one. 

Yes, you read that right. $103. Plus tax. I renewed my lapsed membership for $25 to get a discount and still ended up paying over $80. I'm pretty sure the last time I bought batting, it was in the $40 range.

That brings us up to the present. I'm starting a new project. It's a gift for a friend who has cancer. She loves bright colours, particularly pinks and oranges, so I chose this set of Kaffe Fassett fat quarters which will be "bricks" (I need a quick project) set with a creamy white sashing.


I'll keep you updated on my progress. And let's hope this doesn't take years and years like the yellow and grey Dresden!

I want to say thank you to those who commented on my last post. I'm so happy there are still people out there quilting away. And I'm so glad you let me know you read the post - it's what brought me back tonight.

I'm going to spend what's left of my Friday night slicing fabric and pretending there's a whole community of quilters and sewists creating right along with me this evening.

Until next time xoxo

1 comment:

a good yarn said...

So long as you enjoy the process and you’re not obligated to make things to a time line, then probably not so important how long it takes. You have made some lovely quilts.