Thursday, April 22, 2010

Home Alone with Stinkaroo

Mr. P has gone on a business trip.

The OnlyChild went to a grad retreat.

I'm home alone.

Well, not quite alone. I have the company of AbbyDog:


and DerbyDog:


and RexCat, who should henceforth be renamed Stinkaroo.


My whole house smells like cat pee, thanks to Stinkaroo. He has totally lost control of his faculties (and, ahem, some other parts too). He wanders around meowling at high pitch and volume, dropping his little lumps, piles and rivers of stinkiness all over the laundry room. Yes, the laundry room is now his kingdom. We can't have him loose in the house when we're not home during the day.

We try to stay on top of cleaning up after him, but I think we're losing the battle. The. Whole. House stinks. It's all I could smell when I walked in the door after work today. I lit my Lampe Berger, which is supposed to clean the air, as well as my oil burner from the Body Shop. Maybe the stench is in my nostrils now, but I can still smell cat piss.

I spoke to the vet about him a month or so ago. She says this is very common in older cats (he's almost 19) and it's up to us whether we want to endure it any longer. However, she also asked me a slew of questions about his health and happiness and concluded that his quality of life is probably still quite high - he's eating, drinking, still affectionate, etc.

So... we decided that maybe now is not the right time to say goodbye to our old kitty; maybe it's not his "time" yet.

But maybe I've had enough of poo and pee and the god-awful, nausea-inducing, gut-wrenching, nostril-searing stench. Maybe.

I don't know what to do. Sigh.

*****

On another, not quite so ear-splitting, note, I finished my Bonne Fleur dress last night. I hand-stitched the hem while (sort of) watching a very disappointing episode of Law and Order with Mr. P. See, I'm trying to combine my love of sewing with his love of the television, so we can do things together.

I'd show you a picture of the dress but, as I was saying to Jen, the results of my attempts to photograph myself it in were hilarious. I got one picture in which both the dress and I were obliterated by the flash in the mirror (duh), another couple of the door frame when I tried to use the self-timer, and another of mainly my feet when I attempted to take the photo from the top down. I'll get the OnlyChild to take some pictures when she gets home from her retreat. I will not, however, get her to take them on her camera. I might never get them. Remember the birthday party photos? Of course you don't - you've never seen them and neither have I, because they're still on her computer. Boo-ha!

Well, the wind is whistling, my tummy is burning (dyspepsia? I've had it for a couple of days now), and I might have a mess to clean up in the basement... if I dare to look. I could live without going down there...

10 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Oh Rachel. I'm so sorry of your kitty trouble. Cat urine is the worst smell ever. YUCK!!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Rachel,
It's a big decision and with him Crying and no control over his body functions...well...it may be time. When Scout was sick last May...he was throwing up and has loose BM, eat and drank...however you just KNOW when it's time.
I'll send a prayer your way.
Love the photos of your animal babies.
Warmly,
deb :)

Kaye said...

What a shame, I just couldn't deal with it, I'd be barfing all over the house.You will make the right decision at the right time

Pat said...

I know it's not easy, but I'd say it seems like it's time. Someone once told me that pets KNOW they aren't supposed to be doing that in the house and when they can no longer control themselves and are messing up the house, they are upset about it, too. I'd say if he is crying a lot, he isn't comfortable, either. Good luck with your decision.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh dang it! That's the hard thing about cats. We've never managed to get that far with a cat, but I've heard stories and I dread the day with our two cherised kitties. I think the only thing you can do is confine them to areas where there's no carpet or fabric things. Only trouble is, then he can't be close to you. ;-(

Can't wait to see the dress!

Pokey said...

Well, I'm glad that you've had your kitty so long, we are animal lovers, too, but, quality of life is his, and yours-! Still, very hard.
Your photo shoot sounds like it might be worth sharing just for the laughs! I'm glad you got the dress done. the last 2 garments I started for myself, never got finished.

Stacy said...

Oh, I'm sorry RexCat is in such poor shape. That is so hard. I had an 18 year old dog with the same problem, and after so many years together I just couldn't put her down until there was absolutely no doubt in my mind that it was time. Like Deb said, you just know.

Hope your tummy is feeling better. Looking forward to seeing the dress.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Sorry to read about your kitty..poor thing :o( ((hugs))

Barb said...

Soooo sorry about your dilema....I hate it when my house smells, I will not rest until I find the problem. In your case, you know the problem....and it is a hard one too...the love of the cat and the hate of the smell.....

Can't wait to see your dress.

Unknown said...

the cat situation is hard....I am a fanatic about smells, so I hear you...he has had a long life for a cat and things probably are going to continue to go down hill....but on the otherhand he is a beloved pet....my thoughts are with you and mr stinkeroo.......