Then I thought I'd whip up some more and write a tutorial while I was sewing so you could make some for yourselves. So here's my...
SNOWMAN MUG RUG TUTORIAL
Materials for one mug rug (approximately 9" square when finished):
- 1 - 6" square white fabric
- 4 - 2" squares red or green fabric
- 2 - 2" x 6" strips red or green fabric
- 2 - 2" x 9" strips red or green fabric
- Small scrap of orange fabric for nose and Heat n' Bond (or other applique adhesive)
- 1 - 11" square of quilt batting
- 1 - 12" square of backing fabric
- 1 - 2 1/4" x WOF strip fabric for binding
- 2 small, flat black buttons for eyes
Sew 2" squares of red fabric to corners of 6"" white square.
Trim corners 1/4" away from stitching.
Press corners outwards with seam allowance towards red fabric.
Sew 6" strips of red fabric to opposite sides.
Press outwards with seam allowances towards red fabric.
Sew 9" strips of red fabric to other two sides.
Step 7:Press outwards with seam allowances towards red fabric.
Make triangular-shaped nose from orange scraps; bond and applique (I used blanket stitch) to middle of white square.
Layer 12" square of backing fabric, quilt batting, and top. Baste (I used 505 Spray for this job) and quilt as desired.
Trim to 9" square and apply binding using your favourite method. I like to use Anita's binding tutorial, found here.
Sew on button eyes to create a unique expression for your snowman.
Enjoy a mug of hot chocolate and maybe a cookie or two on your new mug rug!
For maximum enjoyment, repeat Steps 1 through 12 and create more Snowman Mug Rugs for gift-giving.
I'm also thinking that a whole quilt made out of these blocks would be adorable