Monday, March 21, 2011

You may not believe it

Mr. P and I went to an antique sale on Saturday afternoon. Here is a list of all the things I did not buy:
  • a little manual typewriter in a little leather case. I really wanted this so I asked the seller the price and he said $45 - $50; I said $20. He wasn't even willing to budge. I walked away.
  • another globe. This one was on a stand, not a great big stand but it still would have been too large for the space I have on top of the bookshelf.
  • an antique sewing maching. In working order! With all the parts! But the asking price was $290 and that was just a weeeee bit too much. Plus, where would I put it in my little house? (You know that question came from Mr. P.)
  • countless bags and jars of BUTTONS! I know - I can't believe it myself. The first thing I said to Mr. P when we arrived at the sale was, "Don't even let me look at any more buttons!" And then I regretted it because I so wanted some buttons. And there were lots! And to his credit, Mr. P didn't say a word when I stopped to caress yet another jar of buttons.
So, what did I buy? you ask.

Not that much, actually. I bought the antique spool below - I should have taken a couple of pictures before I wrapped it in all that giant ric-rac, but my camera batteries needed charging at the time.


I also bought the cute little stacking snowmen (oh so much cheaper than the stacking Santas I bought my mum in Paris last summer). There was also a set of little Easter bunnies and I can't believe I passed it up. I was trying not to be too greedy.


But aren't the snowmen so cute?

And I bought some vintage postcards (dating from 1904-1912) with messages written in the most wonderful script on the backs of them. And I bought some more antique milk bottles - a steal of a deal at $2 for eight of them! I hadn't been looking for more, but I'm sure I can find something to fill them (more buttons?) and my friend Kim will take a couple for her own growing button collection.

Speaking of buttons... I started a new project this weekend. I need something to do while quilting designs for O'Cherries percolate in my brain, so I began a mini quilt for Easter.


This kit was a Christmas gift from the aforementioned friend Kim. It took no time at all to get the top put together and appliqued, but sewing on all those buttons is a bit time-consuming. Totally worth it, in my opinion. I think it's adorable!

I knew I'd find a purpose for all those buttons!

But I still can't believe I passed up the chance to buy more...

p.s. This post was linked to Fabric Tuesday on Quilt Story!


10 comments:

Tangos Treasures said...

Nice finds!
Can't wait to see the finish on the wall hanging!

Barb said...

Oh...I so love your new treasures...

Pat said...

Love those nesting snowmen. I have a few "nesters" myself but none of mine are antiques.

Thimbleanna said...

You're so funny -- your conversation about the buttons cracked me up. Guess that will teach you to tell the hubby not to let you buy something, huh? Good job on the shopping!

Lindsay said...

Love all the buttons! Very cute!!!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Love the spool and the snowmen. Amelia would love the snowmen too. She has several set of nesting dolls from Poland and she loves to play with them. Can't wait to see the wallhanging. I actually have an easter kit for a table runner that I should probably pull out of hiding and work on it.

Unknown said...

you passed up more buttons..what in the world were you thinking? haha

Dogwood said...

Love the nesting snowmen.
My Guy has some that he got from a friend who lives in Russia. They are so colorful.
I love buttons and can never have too many in all colors!
Oh, us crafters...
Hugs, Dogwood

Stacy said...

That sounds like a wonderful antique store. The manual typewriter must have been tempting. I read that they are very much in demand these days and that kids like to type up their papers on them for a change from computers. I love mine when I was young. In junior high we were taught to type to the beat of Bruce Springsteen.

Quiltstory said...

Super cute snowmen. Cute project!