Thursday, November 12, 2009

Happy Birthday, Cheryl!

We met in grade 7 and by grade 8 were close friends. By grade 9, we were calling each other "best friend" and spending every weekend at each other's house.

Old Orchard Beach, Maine - 1984

We went on vacations with each other and our families.

We stayed close all through university/college. And got into lots of (mostly) harmless trouble together.

Fredericton, New Brunswick - 1988
.
We celebrated each other's weddings... we both got married young; you at 19...

Woodstock, New Brunswick - 1989
.
And me at 21.

Fredericton - 1991
.
And we've stayed best friends even though we've lived 5000 km apart for the past 18 years.
.
I'm not good with the mushy stuff and flowery words, but you should know how much you mean to me.
.
So... my gift to you started with a pattern in a magazine many years ago. I didn't jump into it right away; even though I knew I had to make this "Let it Snow" quilt for you, I had no deadline in mind.
.
.
Then once I got going on it, I thought it would make a nice Christmas present. I stepped up the progress a bit so I could have it ready for December.
.
.
I sewed the blocks together and it began to take shape.
.
.
Worried that the applique wouldn't turn out well, I made a test block. I wanted to do this right!
.
.
The test block made a wonderful pillow cover (I hope you like it).
.
.
And finally I had the courage to put the blocks all together and to quilt it.
.
.
And two weeks ago, I took it down to the post office and sent it across all those miles to reach you for your birthday.
.
This isn't just about a quilt with skiers to represent an important part of your life. This isn't just about me using a skill I have to make something for you. This is about a friendship that has endured for nearly 27 years. You say I was the responsible one and always kept you grounded. You were the fun one who made me step out of myself and try new things. You kept me from "thinking too much" and showed me that a little fun never hurt anyone. I think we were a perfect match back then... and still are.
.
St. Georges, Prince Edward Island - 2008
.
Happy 40th Birthday, my friend. I love you!
.

13 comments:

Pat said...

Rachel.....I had tears in my eyes reading what you wrote about your friendship with Cheryl. (You should be a writer, my friend...seriously.) While your quilt is beautiful and I know it will be well-loved, I'm sure your words will be the best gift of all. Thanks for letting us share in this!

Kaye said...

Absolutely eloguent, Cheryl surely will be so moved by your feelings and thoughtfulness. Its great but rare to have a friendship for that long. My friend Phyllis (that just moved down here to Delaware) and I have been friends since we were 15 yrs old. Thats 56 years! so I know how you treasure Cheryl and she YOU

Thimbleanna said...

Well, that was a little heart-tugger! What a wonderful tribute -- you're a fabulous friend. She's going to treasure that quilt forever!!!

Stacy said...

That brought tears to my eyes! What a beautiful post. Loved looking at the pictures of you and Cheryl (oh, those hairstyles brought back memories!). The quilt turned out fantastic and Cheryl is so fortunate to receive it.

Dogwood said...

Oh, I love hearing about you dear and close friendship with Cheryl. Long time friends are so special. I am glad that you have each other. The quilt is beautiful and so meaningful. You are so creative.

Have a great day.

Sara said...

Talk about making a person cry! You did a good job of it on this one!

How wonderful that you have had each other in your lives for so long. That is very rare!!!

Quilt is beautiful...

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Wonderfully written for a friend so close to your heart.

Regena@QuiltnQuiltthings said...

That is so cool. nice gift of friendship. and talents.
Regena

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Rachel,
What a wonderful friend you have. A blessing for sure. You made a lovely quilt for her that she will treasure.
Warmly,
Deb :)

Cheryl said...

Oh my word Rachel, I don't even have words to say how great this is...Thank you. I just hope we can be friends for another 30 years or so. Love you.

julia said...

You and Cheryl sound like my friend, Mary and me. We started being best friends in 7th grade. We had so much fun together. We were very busy during our children's growing up years and didn't see each other much, but we do now. The quilt is awesome. I saw it on Cheryl's site too.

Vesuviusmama said...

What a wonderful post. You are so lucky to have a friend like that, ans she certainly is lucky to have a friend like you. And to top it off, the quilt is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Beautiful post Rachel. Friendship is such a wonderful gift. The two of you have nourished this friendship and made it what it is today. Not many people can say that they still have the same best friend nearly 30 years later.