Thursday, December 23, 2010

Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you!

I love having two weeks off at Christmas (at least this year I do). It's hard to decide what I enjoy more - extra time before Christmas or after New Year's. Getting out of school early has definite advantages, such as doing lots of Christmassy stuff in time for the actual day.

Yesterday, Kim and I helped her two adorable girls decorate their gingerbread house. We're not the famous Thimbleanna so our house was pre-made and our decorating was non-competitive. But it was still good, messy fun.


Very messy! Those little ones were covered in frosting by the time we were done, as were the table, the floor, the counter, our clothes...


And then we ate some of it. Kim's going home today and she couldn't transport it five hours in the car.

Last night, I finished the OnlyChild's 2010 cross-stitched ornament.


I love the lamb - but I'm not really happy with the finishing job on this one (which is why I didn't show you the whole thing).

I cut out more snowflakes too. These ones will be stuck to the big window on the stairs once they're ironed and starched.


This morning, I made mince tarts while listening to an interesting playlist of seasonal music that the OnlyChild put on my iPad.

We can't have Christmas without mince tarts. I usually make the first batch in early December when we make the meat pies, but I didn't have leftover pastry then.


I wonder if these will last long enough to put one out for Santa on Christmas eve. When I was growing up, Santa (or Father Christmas, as we called him) always got a mince pie and a small glass of liqueur. Cookies and milk? Ha!


Tonight is Mr. P's staff Christmas party. They don't do the typical office party; this year we're going out to dinner, then on a sleigh ride. Then we're all staying at a fancy hotel at Fort Edmonton Park (a heritage museum/park). It should be a good time...but I hope it warms up a bit. Brrr, Baby it's cold outside!

I'm going to take a very short break and try to stay away from the computer for the next couple of days so I can get the last-minute preparations done and relax a bit. I wish you all a very happy Christmas. XO

6 comments:

Sara said...

I have that same Santa Plate! Enjoy your sleigh ride - and the party...

Merry Christmas...

Riel Nason said...

Oh yes, Santa always got a beer at our house. And it was always gone in the morning! Happy Holidays Rachel. A sleigh ride sounds great!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

have a very Merry Christmas Rachel!! Enjoy this time with your family. Hugs!

andsewon said...

Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Your mince pies look delicious...and yes we left a pie and a swig of whiskey for the man in red (must be an English thing)...went down well with him! ;o)

Thimbleanna said...

Ok, I know I'm terribly late, but that little house is ADORABLE!!! I'm thinking next year we should just do CANDY houses and not have all the "themes"!!!