Friday, April 01, 2011

A break in the action

So, I went away for a few days with Mr. P. We went to Seattle.

We saw some fun things there, like Rachel the Pig at the Pike Place Market:




We went on an Underground Tour:


And wandered around downtown lots. Look at this display at All Saints:


I was not allowed to take photos inside. I asked and they said no; I shouldn't have asked, I guess.

Here's a mummy at Ye Olde Curiosity Shop on the waterfront:


There were some other stomach-churning items on display there.

I met up with Anita from Blooming Workshop. What a sweetie - we had a great visit but I didn't think to get a photo of the two of us together - duh. She took me out for coffee and then showed me some of her favourite spots, like the famous Gum Wall:



We also went to the Perennial Tea Room (I bought Victorian Earl Grey) and a great antique shop. While I was with Anita, I didn't buy anything at the antique shop (I was chattering too much and couldn't concentrate) but later on, I couldn't get a couple of things out of my mind so I went back yesterday morning, before we had to leave for the airport.

I plan to frame the pattern envelope and the Ladies' Home Journal page. I love the old spool - there were two of them and I wish I'd bought the other one also.


I rarely go to the mall in my own city, but we took the bus south so we could shop while in Seattle. I bought the OnlyChild a few nice Spring clothing items (and someday she might get to wear them - stupid snow). While we were in that end of town, we also hit a Jo-Ann's store.

We don't have Jo-Ann's here and I've always wanted to go. I somehow had this vision of quilting and craft heaven where everything was available and cheap.

I was wrong. Jo-Ann's didn't really impress me but I did buy three fat quarters, some pink felt (to make this), and the pink peeps. Oh, and an entire bolt of white muslin for quilt backs - that was a good deal!


It was a good little getaway for the two of us. We arrived home late last night, very tired. I had such plans for today - get up early, finish my marking, do some planning for next week, then get started quilting (or at least practicing to quilt) O'Cherries.

But... I slept past 9:00 am, I lazed around, I ate and ate some more, and now it's past 3:00 pm and I've done nothing productive. Bah. Oh well, there's always tomorrow...

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Joann's has a terrible fabric selection if you ask me. I do buy things there, but mostly useful things - fusible interfacings, thread, scissors, pins, etc.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

How fun to get away and meet another blogger!
Still snow here..tomorrow it may get into the 50's! That should melt the darn stuff.
Warmly,
deb

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Hey girl! I have to say,I have hugged that pig too! But,ONE THING, I hope I never see is that gum wall... My daughter always says nothing grosses me out... THAT, totally Grosses me out ... LOOKS like you had fun though! HAHAH!;-)

Patty said...

Sounds like you had fun, I have to agree with Victoria that gum wall is gross. as for Joann's some things are good other things not so good.
There's always tomorrow for sewing and grading.

Pat said...

I'm glad you had a fun trip. Some Joann's (like the one nearest to me) aren't that great. There are some Joann SuperStores, though, that are much better.

Stacy said...

What a fun trip! That gum wall is something else. I absolutely love Seattle and have been on that underground tour, too.

Yeah, Jo-Ann's is not that great. I find it to chainstore-ee and impersonal.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Joann's is good for notions but if you hit a superstore style - they have a more expanded section of stuff. Sounds like you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

A whole bolt?!?! I'd say you scored, silly goose! I'm so glad we had a chance to meet.