Friday, April 22, 2011

Earth Day Project - Repurposed Shirt Pillow

Earth Day was created in 1970 to inspire awareness of the environment. One of Earth Day Canada's Top 10 actions to help the environment is "Don't Discard". The idea is to donate, reuse or recycle items rather than throwing them away. With that in mind, I created an Earth Day project.

This is my Repurposed Shirt Pillow. I used an old (but still decent) dress shirt that Mr. P had put in the Goodwill bag, a pillow form I already owned, and leftover strips from my Postage Stamp quilt.


All it took was those materials and about an hour of work play.


I used the button placket and the back of the shirt. The rest of the fabric from the shirt will go into my scrap bins - because it's nice, thick cotton - and the leftover buttons will, of course, be added to my button collection for use in future projects.


I'm really pleased with my little pillow. It was quick and easy, and it's going to look wonderful with the Postage Stamp and O'Cherries quilts...if I ever get them done.

If I didn't keep getting distracted by other things, I might have made some progress by now ;)


Happy Earth Day!



11 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Okay, that shirt pillow is just precious! and a wonderful addition to both your quilt tops. Happy Earth Day and Happy Easter!

Patty said...

What a neat idea!

What Comes Next? said...

looks great Rachel - a very creative use of a discarded shirt!

Barb said...

That is adorable and a fantastic idea!!

Yvonne said...

What a fabulous idea! Thank you for sharing.

suemac said...

I enjoyed your comments on Stitched in Color. That postage stamp pillow is really cute. Great way to recycle.

Dogwood said...

Happy Earth Week.
You did well with the pillow.
It is so cute and Spring looking.
Have a happy and fun Easter Day.

Riel Nason said...

The buttons down the middle are perfect. Really cool.

Micmacker said...

Great Earth Day project - I think it looks terrific (and I just might have to copy if I can wrest an old shirt from my frugal husband's grasp).

Dawn Gahan said...

Rachel, you've given me a whole new inspiration for using a placket!

Dawn

Happy Easter!!

trish said...

What an adorable pillow and so wonderful that you are able to reuse!! :o)
Have a great week.
Sincerely, Trish