Let me explain. Monday night, fairly late, I realized that if I wanted to pin my Spring Spell quilt after school on Tuesday, I had better cut a piece of batting and get it all ready to go. I had written down the measurements of the quilt and underneath had written the size of batting I needed to cut from the chunk I had on hand.
Unfortunately, when I went to cut, I read the wrong set of numbers and ended up with a piece a bit too narrow. Like I said, it was fairly late at night. Uh Oh! What to do?
Since I didn't have another large piece of batting, I decided the next best thing was to sew a length to the piece I'd already cut. I've done this before, but usually only on table quilts or 'test' projects - just trying to use up and not waste.
Can you see the seam in the picture above? Sort of... I just used a wide zig-zag and butted the two straight sides together. The seam is fairly flat and I've hidden it under the 'racing stripe' on the back of the quilt. Fingers crossed it doesn't show or leave a ridge.
So, here's the quilt, batting and backing all packed up to take to school.
And here's the quilt laid out on the floor of the classroom. I was down on my knees (in a skirt, no less) pinning the quilt after school when a colleague walked by. She said she thought maybe I was praying. haha.
The quilt is now all pinned... I don't know when I'll get around to quilting it. I have my first paper due next Friday, so that's taking priority right now. Even over marking and other work.
For all of you who think I've been complaining too much about the weather lately:
This was what I saw Monday morning when I woke up. The temperature has been hovering around the freezing mark for about a week now. I think we're in for some nicer weather in the next few days. I hope so!