Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon

This is where I have spent the better part of the weekend: in the front porch. It is absolutely the best place to be when the weather is nice.

We moved the couch in there last summer when the OnlyChild decided she didn't want it in her room anymore. I love it! It's a wonderful place to nap in the warm afternoon sun. The quilt on the couch is one I made quite a few years ago from fabrics I purchased in Nova Scotia. It was one of those slash and sew quilts.

Don't you love the little Jack Russell puppy? No, he's not one of the Wild Things; he was my Mother's Day gift from the OnlyChild. She must have thought I needed a well-behaved pet to make up for the two crazies. His name is Simon.

Here's the other side of the porch. The rocking chair is one I bought when I was pregnant. Many nights I rocked the OnlyChild to sleep in this chair when she was a baby. You can also see Lola, the OnlyChild's bicycle, which was parked in the porch when it started to rain one night.
And here is a view of the house across the street. It's the oldest one on the block, according to the OnlyChild, who did some research at the public library. Our house was built in 1909; this one is a few years older. A quite elderly man lives there alone and he is very self-sufficient ~ he shovels his own walks, mows the lawn, trims the hedge. If I lived in that house, I would give it a good paint job and trim the windows in black, or maybe red. Oh, who am I kidding. I haven't even painted the windows in my own house.

You are seeing his house through an old window frame that came out of our PEI house (you know, the one we just sold).

The porch has a nautical theme ~ it was decorated that way to keep me going during summers that we didn't go back to our ocean home. The sand and shells in this container are from two beaches near our ex-island house.

We bought this lighthouse and the Bluenose below on the Island and brought them home with us, too.

Here's what I was doing during my sojourn out in the porch ~ reading and taking notes for my course.

Here's what I'd rather have been doing ~ reading something inspirational (yes, even in French) and creating... maybe finally finishing my quilt. Soon... soon...

Sigh. Oh well, at least the weather is getting better. Look at that blue sky! And the trees are starting to bud. I can't wait until it's all green and leafy outside. This street is so beautiful in the summer time because of all the mature trees and old houses. Now, if I could only find a way to keep the cars from speeding up the road...


Remember my mantra? I really do have a good life. I'm going to keep repeating it, especially in the next few weeks when things start to get really busy.
.
The countdown is on for Summer Vacation!
.
Have a great rest of the weekend (what's left of it, for my Eastern friends).

6 comments:

Pat said...

Thanks for this pleasant little journey about your porch and neighborhood. I love our screen porch and do enjoy the many hours I spend there reading on the glider swing in the nice weather. I am glad this day is winding down, though, as it's been a really trying one for me.

Unknown said...

What a lovely porch. Happy Mother's Day

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

I just love your porch...looks so relaxing. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!!
~Karen~

Stacy said...

Your porch looks so warm and cozy. Did I understand correctly-- you had sun this weekend? Woo hoo! :-) The Jack Russell is cute.

What do you think of _Getting it Wrong from the Beginning_? The title took me by surprise so I looked on Amazon to get a feel for the content but only gathered that it's a bit dry.

Sara said...

Loved the tour of your lovely porch...it looks like quite the place to relax!

Ahhh...to be able to read French! I would love to...maybe I'll take a class...

Glimpse of My World said...

Love the nautical room... my husband office is all sailboat's.. love it.. come visit us!