Saturday, December 10, 2011

FNSI and Nutella

A wonderful combination, don't you think?

I begged off my staff Christmas party so I could stay home and relax. And by "relax", I mean make stuff.

First up, Nutella Caramel Popcorn. Oh my goodness. I got the recipe from the Vittles and Bits blog.

I assembled the ingredients



Followed the recipe


And ended up with a huge batch of this wonderful, sweet, crunchy delight. Most of it is gone by now. Okay, don't be too judgmental. Mr. P did take a tin of it to his boss's open house this afternoon, but yes, I had it for both breakfast and lunch today. This is the "test batch" after all.

 

Mine isn't a chocolatey as the picture on Vittles and Bits, but it was darn good anyway. I may have popped a bit too much popcorn. Or maybe it just needs more Nutella. More!

And for Friday Night Sew-In last night, I worked on the OnlyChild's 2011 cross-stitched Christmas ornament. For once I'm getting a head start and (probably) won't be rushing to finish it the morning of Christmas Eve.


This will commemorate our little trip to Paris after Christmas. Don't be jealous - it's a "training tour" for my upcoming Italy trip with 33 students and I just happened to have enough travel points to take along the OnlyChild. Needless to say, she's thrilled! Me too! New Year's Eve in the City of Lights!
.
Don't look too closely at my cross-stitch above. I made a mistake adjusted the pattern a bit. I'm not quite sure if I will add all the embellishment - the words and border. Definitely there will be a date, but I don't want this tree ornament to be humongous and awkward looking so I'll probably make it smaller than the original pattern (which I found at Blackbird Designs, by the way).
,
I spent this morning and into the afternoon writing the FINAL paper for my master's course. And since this is the last course I need to take, it was also the final paper for the entire degree. Barring any catastrophes (e.g. I miscalculated or the university reneges on their agreement to accept the course I took at another university), I have officially finished my M.Ed! I won't get the actual diploma until convocation in May, but the relief I feel right now is...amazing.

I think I'll spend the rest of the day celebrating. And by "celebrating", I mean making stuff.

P.S. don't forget to come back on Monday for Sew Mama Sew! giveaway day.

16 comments:

Vesuviusmama said...

Woo hoo! Final paper? Starting early on the ornament? You have many things to celebrate! My son was reading over my shoulder and saw the Nutella popcorn, so guess what we'll be making sometime soon?

Lynne said...

Congratulations on the final paper - that must be a wonderful feeling!

Patty said...

Congratulations of the final paper and the cross stitch looks pretty good from where I'm sitting.

Barb said...

Looks yummy....

YOu don't have long now....

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

(early) Congatulations!!!!! Hope you got a lot of sewing done yesterday. I did a little bit this evening.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing your final paper! What a relief!Nowyou will have lots of time for making stuff!

Unknown said...

terrific on finishing your paper...how did you do on the writing so many words in Novemeber? I had another friend that completed hers, and I wondered if you did.

Thimbleanna said...

OHMYGOSH -- I don't know what to mention first....CONGRATULATIONS on the end of all that school work -- that's wonderful. And PARIS -- you lucky duck! I need to find a group to take touring so I can do some homework. I'm SOOO envious!!!!

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits said...

Rachel I'm so glad you enjoyed the popcorn, yours looks great! Congrats on finishing the last paper for your degree, what a great feeling that must be. Have a fabulous time in Paris as well! :)

What Comes Next? said...

that popcorn looks delicious! Yum! The final paper! Oh what a wonderful feeling for you - and you get to celebrate with a fabulous trip, and take the Only Child along. Sounds like everything is right with the world!

Michele said...

Congratulations on that final paper finish!!! Great job! Wow that popcorn looks good.....I've got to make some! Great FNSI results :-)

Emma said...

Congrats on the final course for your masters! Now I want to run out and buy popcorn. (Just to celebrate with you. )

Julie Fukuda said...

Looks like a run on towers on blogs. I like your little cross stitched ornament. I am not too familiar with the ingredients in that popcorn but it sure looks like a great way to celebrate to me. Congrats on the paper!

Stacy said...

Congrats on completing your Master's degree, Rachel. That must feel great. And wow, a trip to Paris coming up, how fun! Lots of wonderful stuff going on in your life, including that yummy popcorn. I love Nutella.

Anonymous said...

You are torturing me with that Nutella popcorn! I love Nutella, but now that I am allergic to whey, I'm not sure I can eat it. :(

And have fun in Paris. I can't think of a better place to spend the New Year!

Ivory Spring said...

Hi Rachel,

I have stitched that same Eiffel Tower design! Great design!