Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saturday has gone to the dogs!

Yesterday was the day we officially, legally, sold the PEI house. We had all the papers notarized by a lawyer and they were sent off this morning. It's over and done with (barring any disasters) and, I promise, so is my boohoo-ing over it. But thanks, my friends, for your words of understanding and encouragement. Yes, new doors will open and new opportunities will arise and I appreciate your gentle reminders of that.

This morning was annual Vet Check Up Day for Abby and Derby. This is usually not a happily anticipated excursion; in fact, Mr. P and I try to cut deals with each other to make the other person do the dirty deed. Our sweet dogs are a handful, to say the least. This time we went together and had a couple of nice surprises. First of all, the vet we used to see, who only works part-time now, was there. She's wonderful and she absolutely loves Abby and Derby because she's a Jack Russell Terrier owner herself. Then she told us that the dogs did not need the usual variety of vaccinations because the ones they had last year are valid for three years, so they only needed the bordatella (kennel cough) for when they stay at the kennel. That saved us some dollars and the pups each a pinch! All in all, it was a pretty easy visit. Even Derby behaved himself (sort of).


I made a quick trip to the fabric store this afternoon for...

... a roll of emerald green cotton thread to do the applique on my March Seasons of the Heart BOM. I used two shamrock cut-outs on the block instead of one, just to add some dimension. I found this charm square of shamrocks and cute little ladybirds. As soon as I cut into it, I smacked myself on the forehead. Why didn't I use this in the Bunny Hill block instead? I've been doing all my baskets in A Tisket a Tasket in red and this would have been perfect. Plus, I wanted to have a touch of pink in all the Seasons of the Heart blocks; I don't think pink will look good with this fabric but it would have looked great with the pale green batik I used in the other block. Arrrggghhh. Oh well... I like this block anyway. It's simple, but cute.

I also picked up this zipper to make the back of the cushion cover with my Let it Snow test block. I put together the cushion cover, washed it, and it's now in the dryer. We'll see if all those fiddly little applique pieces stay put. If it's a success, I can go ahead and finish the quilt... finally.


Poor Bernice, though. While I was sewing she was doing some strange things with the stitches. I opened her up and found what looked like a mouse's nest of lint inside her. No wonder she was protesting. I cleaned her out and she hummed along nicely after that.

I found this on my adventure to the fabric store, too.


It's a peel and stick chalkboard. The OnlyChild was looking at these last time we were there, but I wasn't paying $23.00 for one (cheap old mum). Today they were on for 1/2 price and $11.49 I don't mind spending. I think it will be a nice little Easter gift, so she'll have to wait until then to get it. Hopefully she won't read my blog before then - she usually doesn't.

So, I'm back in the saddle, so to speak. I'm sewing again. I'm finding lately that all my projects are little things - Pink Penguin baskets, BOM blocks, Itty Bitty Kitties. The biggest project I've completed so far this year was Jane Marie's baby quilt back in January. I really need to get moving... I really need bigger chunks of time to work on things... I really need to spend less time on the computer... yeah, right.

Happy Saturday, my friends. Tomorrow looks like a great day for sewing!

3 comments:

Pat said...

It's funny you talked about making small things lately. It seems that a lot of folks are going in that direction right now. I wonder if it's going to be a new trend? I'm thinking smaller things have a few definite advantages....they produce quicker results and they are usually less expensive to make than bigger pieces. Both those things appeal to me...speedy results and lower price! :)

Thimbleanna said...

Your dogs are so cute -- and love the shamrock block too. Like you, I've had too many little projects and I really need to get to work on a big one. I started piecing a quilt that should have been done last year yesterday, so hopefully that will satisfy my big project urges for the next month or two LOL!

Stacy said...

Abby and Derby are cuties. How old are they? It's nice when you have a vet who you know genuinely loves your pets. A vet I used to take my dog to once told me about an injured dog that was dropped off at his office, and as he told me the story his eyes filled with tears. I was so touched to see how much he cared about a stray animal.

Now I have cats and taking them to the vet is such an ordeal. Stuffing them in the carrier, listening to their plaintive meows on the drive over ... not fun.

Love the shamrock. Have fun with your new goodies now that Bernice has had mouse-nest-removal surgery!