Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Parlez-vous...?

When I was in high school, I was considered to be "functionally bilingual", meaning that if I were to be dropped in the middle of Quebec or somewhere in France, I would be able to survive. I continued to take French in university, although I don't think my abilities improved much. Then, the OnlyChild was enrolled in a French Immersion program for grades 1 and 2 (we moved away in grade 3). So, I figure I will be able to get by on the French leg of my upcoming trip. But, just to make sure, I started practising with a couple of language programs on the computer. Only one of them works on my computer at school and I have had a bit of extra time lately because I have a student teacher who has pretty much taken over all my teaching duties. I was in my office the other day, listening and repeating, when all of a sudden I realized that the CD was teaching me sentences such as, "Would you like to meet for a drink?" and "There's a nice restaurant around the corner." I now know how to pick someone up while I'm abroad! That particular CD also has lessons on how to dump the new, foreign beau, which should come in handy if he gets too frisky or I decide it's just not going to work: "Get your hands off me!" and "I don't think we should see each other anymore." hehehe.
.
Aaahhhh... Italian and French men. A whole new world for me. I told Mr. P the other night that if I really really liked it there, maybe I wouldn't come home. He just shrugged. Yeah, I don't think he's too worried. He probably knows that I'm more interested in the sightseeing and shopping anyway.

This is where we're going on the trip:
  • Rome
  • Assisi
  • Siena
  • Montecatini
  • Florence
  • Pisa
  • Padua
  • Jesolo
  • Venice
  • Verona
  • Geneva
  • Paris
  • Versailles

All these cities in 10 days! Obviously, some of them are just quick tourist stops, which is just fine with me, as long as I get good pictures. I'm most excited about going to Paris because it's been #1 on my Places to Visit List since I was about 13 and, although I was born in southern England, I never crossed the Channel. Isn't that awful! My mother and I were planning to go for Spring Break when I was in grade 11, but my grandmother died the October or November before and Mum had to go back to England for the funeral, which sucked dry our travel fund. Then life just progressed at an incredible pace: university, marriage, child, more university, career in rapid succession.

Now I get to go... I'm fulfilling on my my life's goals. I definitely have plans to keep travelling, even if Mr. P isn't interested in accompanying me. It's cheaper to travel with friends anyway!

Buonas noches.☺

8 comments:

Pat said...

I can't wait for you to go and come back with lots of great photos. When do you leave for the trip???

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Wow, wow, wow! Have a GREAT time and we want to see lots and lots of pictures!

Thimbleanna said...

Ooooohhhh what a fantastic itinerary! How very exciting!!! I so agree with you -- it's 1/2 price if you go with friends LOL!

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

I've been to all those places, but my view was from inside a baby carriage 44 years ago!! You are going to have a wonderful time. Better take extra cameras, batteries and memory cards with you. You'll have so much to post about when you get back. Not sure when you're leaving, but have a great trip.
au revoir
~Karen~

Stacy said...

That sounds like such a fun trip. Can't wait to see your pictures. And hear about your adventures telling French and Italian men to keep their hands to themselves.

Florence has been on my list for a while now. Some day ....

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Bueno! You're going to have an awesome time! Looking forward to seeing all the pics once you're back home. Have you figured out yet what you're going to do on the airplane? It's a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong flight!

Barb said...

I am so excited for you...have a wonderful time. You may never know when someone might give you a little pinch on the bum....so some of those words will come in handy!!! I too am looking forward to pictures.

Sarah said...

I rode the train under the Channel on one of my visits to England, it was an interesting journey. They come around with packs of hot tea on their backs!