Sunday, February 20, 2011

Buttons and Blocks and Bags

Yesterday, my friend Kim and I met for breakfast then headed to a couple of quilt shops. She bought a lovely quilt kit and I bought... some bobbins. Kind of anti-climactic. I bought a pattern, too, because you know I don't have enough projects on the to-sew list.

We also hit the Antique Mall. Such an amazing place!

I bought the globe on the right to go with the one Mr. P got me for Christmas. It's an oldie - it still has the USSR on it. There was another one I thought about buying. It is the exact same globe I had as a kid (except this one had Kevin Smith's name and phone number written in permanent marker on the bottom). I wonder if my globe is still kicking around my mother's house. Hmmm...



I also bought more buttons (the jar on the right). Remember, I'm the girl who went to a flea market in Paris and left with nothing but two bags of buttons. I love buttons. This particular jar was full of some very interesting things, besides buttons. Plastic horses and donkeys, tiny little belt buckles, snaps, curtain hooks and rings. But hundreds of wonderful buttons too.


The last time I went to the Antique Mall (with the OnlyChild), I picked up this little beauty:


I can't believe I forgot to show it to you until now. It doesn't work, but I didn't expect to use it anyway.

It wasn't all shopping and eating yesterday. I'm ready to put together all the blocks for Be Yourself. I laid them out on the dining room floor to have a look. I tried to be random, really I did. But random just isn't me so they're set in a pattern.


Now I have this pile to work on connecting for the rest of today (and tomorrow because it's a long weekend).


And I have another finish this weekend. I made the mini version of the Mail Sack.
 

The pattern didn't call for a zippered pocket but since there is no top closure, I added one.


And another pocket. I sewed on a button for extra security.


Good things all around. How about you? Did you discover any treasures this weekend?

14 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Love Be Yourself and the black!!!! Your mail bag is super cute too.

Pokey said...

You have a lot going on, Rachel! The black is a good choice. I do like the purse/bag, too. And you button collection is growing. Mine are in jars, also, but I don't have them out to show. I need to get that together!
:-}pokey

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

aww! shucks! I missed a girl day antiquing! drats! and double drats...Looks like you guys had fun!
there are no good antique malls around here.. the prices are crazy...
When I go back to MN, I take a few days and hit all my favorites! ;-)

Stacy said...

Your mail bag is nice! I like that fabric. And the quilt is beautiful. What a fun button jar with all of those little treasures.

I saw lots of treasures at Stitches, including pendants made of tiny pieces of crazy quilts under glass. They were fantastic. I will have to find the biz card I picked up and post a link.

Dora, the Quilter said...

I love your sweet sewing machine. They are little work horses and probably just need cleaning and oiling. I imagine pretty much everything you need to get it going is still available. They were built to last and meant to sew for well over a century. (Two of my current favorites are a 1919 Singer 66 and a 1936 Singer 15-88.)

Unknown said...

I'm so drooling over those buttons....oh my....love that old machine, looks so pretty

Barb said...

wow, I am impressed with your zippered pocket....just wonderful. Love love love your quilt...it is looking wonderful.

You have some great buys there and I too love buttons...

What Comes Next? said...

Looks like you had a great weekend - some great buys - both the globe & the buttons, love your Singer from your last trip - I would so love to have one. And your quilt and bag are both fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I like the neutral colors in your "B Yourself" quilt. Can't wait to see how you'll quilt it. Do you plant to quilt it yourself or have it done?

BTW, I'm sort of a closet button collector too. At least they're small and don't take up a lot of room, LOL.

I like your mail sack & the fabrics you chose for it. Your zipper installation looks very professional.

Gail :)

Thimbleanna said...

You've had a BUSY weekend Ms. Rachel! Love the bag. And the quilt! I'm like you -- I have a terrible time with random. I do LOVE that black though. When you were describing it, I thought it might be too much contrast but SO not so!!!

Unknown said...

I love all your buttons,mine are in tins. I'm so jealous of your sewing machine. Love your quilt too!!!

Buy WoW Account said...

Wow! You're one of a kind. Haven't known anyone that loves buttons that much. Well, that bag looks great! Keep 'em coming!

Buy WoW Account

Unknown said...

Those buttons look like fun!

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Your mail sack is awesome...I love a good bag. :-) And look at all those buttons!!