Monday, February 14, 2011

Red and Pink

Happy Valentine's Day!

In spite of the fact that we are not big followers of Valentine's Day, I do make or buy something for the OnlyChild every year. Last year, I made her a pair of sweetheart pillowcases.


It's so hard to think of Valentine's gifts - she has plenty of pajamas, she doesn't want chocolate because she's trying to eat healthier, and she's got enough "stuff" in her room that more trinkets would just be lost.

So, this year, I made a heart garland for her, using Betz White's tutorial. I didn't have any pom-poms so I used buttons in between the felt hearts. That's more my style, anyway.

Here it is hanging on a picture in my sewing room.


Hmmm...looks like it belongs here. I might have to steal it back from the OnlyChild.


And I tried it out on the shutters in the dining room too.



And on the picture of my grandfather and his parents c. 1917.


I did eventually hang it in the OnlyChild's room, up over her bed. That was after I made the bed and put the one sweetheart pillowcase I could find on a pillow.

(I had to clear a path from the door to the bed and almost lost my slipper in the process. Some mess in there!)

12 comments:

Barb said...

Love the heart garland....hope you have a fun day...

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

love the pillowcases. I need to make Amelia a second one for her bed. To match the one for this year. Super cute garland! I like it!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I understand about the mess... Happy Valentine's day!

andsewon said...

Cute garland! I remember those messes.
now I make them in MY sewing room... hahaha!
Hugs,
Lola

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I love the heart garland that you made OnlyChild :)
Did you already tell us the theme for March's ATC??!!I have forgotten or maybe not if you haven't told me! LOL!!!
Crazy old lady,
deb :)

Pat said...

The heart garland is terrific. I'm guessing the mess in her room is why you didn't show photos of it by her bed?? LOL I remember teen girl bedroom messes, too...UGH

Dogwood said...

I am saving that precious idea for next year. Absolutely wonderful.
My Guy and I do not take Valentine's Day too seriously...every day for us is Valentine's Day! :)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

cute cute hearts!!! I kind of went AWOL on valentines day this year... ooops... Ordered goodies on line this morning... LOL... not very romantic of me is it??

pillowcases1, yes, I can whip a few of those quick... great idea!

Unknown said...

What a great project. I like the buttons instead of the pom poms. Does sound like my kids rooms!!

Julie Fukuda said...

Oh I remember the mess. We had a rule that if you want a friend over, your room has to be cleaned. Why? they ask. Well, it reflects on me and I don't like comments coming about my messy home. I could always tell when they were getting ready to invite a friend because of the cleaning frenzy. Cute garland.

Thimbleanna said...

Haha -- sounds like a teen room to me! Adorable garland Rachel -- I'll bet she loved it!

Stacy said...

Love that garland and it looks so good in your sewing room and on the shutters and on the photo. You should definitely steal it back or make yourself one. It's so pretty and cheerful.