Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Cats vs. Dogs, Women vs. Men?

Have you ever received that funny email where cats and dogs are contrasted? I can't even remember how it goes, but I know it made me laugh and it made a good point about innate differences. I thought about that email this evening as I contrasted how Mr. P spends his time with how I spend my time. Perhaps this is an activity in which I should not engage...

My evening:
  • home from work.

  • went upstairs to change

  • took dogs out into back yard

  • took laundry to basement, folded sheets that someone had unceremoniously dumped on top of the dryer, fed the cat, took out chicken breasts for supper

  • put chicken in microwave to thaw

  • went back to basement to clean up cat mess (ugh)

  • prepared chicken, put in oven, set timer for 20 minutes

  • read newspaper for 20 minutes until timer went off, telling me it was time to get veggies and pasta ready

  • peeled zucchini and carrots, put pasta on to boil, prepared veggies and pasta dish

  • ate supper

  • marked tests and assignments while (sort of) watching Glee

  • put laundry in the dryer, another load in the washer

  • went upstairs, read chapter 5 in very boring textbook for my course, wrote really really long post in reply to the first assignment for this week

  • 30 minutes reading blogs and posting this

  • bed (I'm going now)

His evening:

  • home from work (about 15 minutes after me)

  • went upstairs to change

  • grabbed a snack

  • went into living room, turned on t.v.

  • ate supper

  • picked up the OnlyChild from an after school event

  • watched t.v. (he's still watching t.v. as I type)

Okay... what's wrong with this picture?

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm complaining again. I just really really want to be sitting at my sewing machine and, instead, it's cultivating a fine layer of dust. The dust of neglect. (Cue sad music here.)


Pat said...

Sounds pretty unbalanced to both work fulltime AND you are taking a I feel Mr. P needs to step up to the plate a bit more...maybe be the cook a couple of nights a week so YOU get some "me" time a bit more often....especially since he has told you that it's important for you to do things that are for YOU. (I'm sure he won't be a fan of mine if he reads this!!!)

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

Huh. That really is quite a contrast!

Vesuviusmama said...

I hear you, and I can relate. It is hard not to feel resentful sometimes. I don't pretend to be a marriage counselor, since after nearly 10 years I am still learning to navigate my own, but I hope you get some time for yourself (and your sewing machine) sometime soon. And don't apologize for complaining on here - everyone needs an outlet, and I find that my online friends are perfect for venting. If they don't want to "listen" they can stop reading and I won't even notice, and if they do have scraps of wisdom or encouragement to share, then I can read it over and over again until I feel better. Hang in there!

Thimbleanna said...

Ok, were you at my house last night? This is exactly what happens at our house -- minus the picking up of the child -- it's all t.v. for SOMEone. If I leave dishes, SOMEone will do them SOMEtimes -- which is only fair -- I made dinner, he can do dishes. After 30 years, I've given up and blame myself that I didn't train him right from the start. You know that lovestruck phase where you'll do everything for them? What a bunch of crap -- look where it gets us!

PunkiePie said...

Sounds like my house too! A mom/wife's job is 24/7/365. So sad. I would strike! LOL! Make Mr. P take the reigns on some of the work.

LillySue said...

Praise God I have two teenagers I have trained right.....their dad had been a bachelor for a long time when we got married and I had no chance. There are just some things that I REFUSE to do and since he is the obsessive/compulsive neat freak, it always drives him crazy before it does me, heehe!
Hang in there Honey!

andsewon said...

Our work loads have never been balanced here either .. it is what it is at this point in time...;-)
You have time to CHANGE IT... just ask... what's for supper tonight dear??? ha!!
Hey it is your blog you can whine, rant, rave do what ever ya want...;-)

goldenbird said...

Sounds like Mr. P needs to spend some quality time in the kitchen! Wow, you sure are busy. When does your class end? I like that cute pic with the dog and cat spooning. I've been enjoying Glee, but last night found it kind of boring. I ended up turning it off and going out for a walk. Hope tonight you have a little more time for yourself.


Hi Rachel,
Have you started reading your blogger book? If it's good..maybe I'll pick one up.
I use the crock pot a lot in the fall/winter and that saves so much TIME!!!
Deb :)