Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Cats vs. Dogs, Women vs. Men?


Have you ever received that funny email where cats and dogs are contrasted? I can't even remember how it goes, but I know it made me laugh and it made a good point about innate differences. I thought about that email this evening as I contrasted how Mr. P spends his time with how I spend my time. Perhaps this is an activity in which I should not engage...

My evening:
  • home from work.

  • went upstairs to change

  • took dogs out into back yard

  • took laundry to basement, folded sheets that someone had unceremoniously dumped on top of the dryer, fed the cat, took out chicken breasts for supper

  • put chicken in microwave to thaw

  • went back to basement to clean up cat mess (ugh)

  • prepared chicken, put in oven, set timer for 20 minutes

  • read newspaper for 20 minutes until timer went off, telling me it was time to get veggies and pasta ready

  • peeled zucchini and carrots, put pasta on to boil, prepared veggies and pasta dish

  • ate supper

  • marked tests and assignments while (sort of) watching Glee

  • put laundry in the dryer, another load in the washer

  • went upstairs, read chapter 5 in very boring textbook for my course, wrote really really long post in reply to the first assignment for this week

  • 30 minutes reading blogs and posting this

  • bed (I'm going now)

His evening:

  • home from work (about 15 minutes after me)

  • went upstairs to change

  • grabbed a snack

  • went into living room, turned on t.v.

  • ate supper

  • picked up the OnlyChild from an after school event

  • watched t.v. (he's still watching t.v. as I type)

Okay... what's wrong with this picture?

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm complaining again. I just really really want to be sitting at my sewing machine and, instead, it's cultivating a fine layer of dust. The dust of neglect. (Cue sad music here.)


9 comments:

Pat said...

Sounds pretty unbalanced to me......you both work fulltime AND you are taking a class....so I feel Mr. P needs to step up to the plate a bit more...maybe be the cook a couple of nights a week so YOU get some "me" time a bit more often....especially since he has told you that it's important for you to do things that are for YOU. (I'm sure he won't be a fan of mine if he reads this!!!)

Kim Brackett said...

Huh. That really is quite a contrast!

Vesuviusmama said...

I hear you, and I can relate. It is hard not to feel resentful sometimes. I don't pretend to be a marriage counselor, since after nearly 10 years I am still learning to navigate my own, but I hope you get some time for yourself (and your sewing machine) sometime soon. And don't apologize for complaining on here - everyone needs an outlet, and I find that my online friends are perfect for venting. If they don't want to "listen" they can stop reading and I won't even notice, and if they do have scraps of wisdom or encouragement to share, then I can read it over and over again until I feel better. Hang in there!

Thimbleanna said...

Ok, were you at my house last night? This is exactly what happens at our house -- minus the picking up of the child -- it's all t.v. for SOMEone. If I leave dishes, SOMEone will do them SOMEtimes -- which is only fair -- I made dinner, he can do dishes. After 30 years, I've given up and blame myself that I didn't train him right from the start. You know that lovestruck phase where you'll do everything for them? What a bunch of crap -- look where it gets us!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Sounds like my house too! A mom/wife's job is 24/7/365. So sad. I would strike! LOL! Make Mr. P take the reigns on some of the work.

Sue said...

Praise God I have two teenagers I have trained right.....their dad had been a bachelor for a long time when we got married and I had no chance. There are just some things that I REFUSE to do and since he is the obsessive/compulsive neat freak, it always drives him crazy before it does me, heehe!
Hang in there Honey!
Blessings~LillySue

andsewon said...

Our work loads have never been balanced here either .. it is what it is at this point in time...;-)
You have time to CHANGE IT... just ask... what's for supper tonight dear??? ha!!
Hey it is your blog you can whine, rant, rave do what ever ya want...;-)
Lola

Stacy said...

Sounds like Mr. P needs to spend some quality time in the kitchen! Wow, you sure are busy. When does your class end? I like that cute pic with the dog and cat spooning. I've been enjoying Glee, but last night found it kind of boring. I ended up turning it off and going out for a walk. Hope tonight you have a little more time for yourself.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Rachel,
Have you started reading your blogger book? If it's good..maybe I'll pick one up.
I use the crock pot a lot in the fall/winter and that saves so much TIME!!!
Deb :)