Friday, February 05, 2010

I ♥ Red

Finally, I have chosen the fabrics to finish my A Tisket A Tasket 2009 BOM from Bunny Hill. I did all my baskets in various red fabrics and have been searching for the perfect accessories for ages. I went to every quilt shop in the area, scoured the online stores, and stopped in a dozen times at Fabricland to see if they had anything new and good.

I have to say, you US quilters have it easy. There is no LQS in my area that sells Moda fabrics, although things are starting to look up in that respect. Fabrics at quilt shops are also very very expensive, as much as $30.00/metre. I am not kidding! Even at the plain ol' fabric store, they charge up to $22.00/metre. Crazy!

So, I went online and ordered from the Fat Quarter Shop. $8.55 and $9.00/yard for these fabrics. Even with shipping at over $11.00, it was still cheaper.

Sad, when you think about it. I would expect to have to do this if I were still living in the boonies way up north with the nearest city a 5-hour drive away. But I live in the city now. I should have access to all the good things in life.

Oh well... enough complaining. Time for show and tell!

This is Gallery Red Small Paisley and will be used for the outer border and the posts (next to the sashing).


This one is Gallery Red Red Checks - for the sashing and the binding.

And this is Love Notes Red Scroll, which will be the inner border.


Of course, I ordered just a tiny bit extra of each... gotta have some scraps for the stash!

I do hope they work with my red baskets.


It will take a while for this order to arrive, I'm sure. The mail seems to be incredibly slow lately... right, Pat? (Pat has been waiting for a couple of weeks to receive my fabrics for the Green and White no-sew swap.)

I have plenty to keep me busy in the meantime... not to worry. I hope to work on the Checkerboard quilt this weekend. Haven't touched it since before the exam marking spree.

And guess what... only a couple of little things to mark this weekend. I'd better take advantage of the down time because it won't last!

Have a good one, folks!

13 comments:

Dolores said...

You did a great job, I never even finished the first one. Maybe I should do it for this year...
You could try this Canuck store.
http://store.sew-sisters.com
Their blog mentions a sale on now.

What Comes Next? said...

Love red! love those fabrics you've chosen - I think they will look marvelous with your blocks, can't wait to see it all finished. I've got some embroidery to finish off on 5 of the ATAT blocks, and then I'll have to sort out sashings and bindings and stuff. Ah well, always something... Yay you for having a low marking weekend on the way - time to play and have some fun. you can also try this Canadian site, they do carry Moda, and often have sales on (but even then, its tough to beat the US prices!) http://www.hamelsfabrics.com/

Stacy said...

The fabrics you selected are so pretty. Very little marking? Woo hoo! Hope you have some fun this weekend.

Pat said...

Those fabrics are going to look SMASHING with your baskets....great choice!!! And yes...the mail is SLOW...still waiting here....*sigh*

andsewon said...

LOVE those fabric you picked...yes will look simply marvelous!!!
Sadly I still have a few blocks to finish on this BOM.
Happy you will have some time to do other things than marking!
Here is another nor'easter coming in...ugh.
Hugs,
Lola

Barb said...

Love the colors you chose....

Vesuviusmama said...

Great choices! Paisley is the best! And gee, the way you put it, we US quilters DO have it easy. I guess I won't complain about prices any more.

Della said...

As a red lover, there is no way I could not like your choice of fabric. And your blocks are so beautiful. I think I completed one. Am looking forward to the finished product.

Sherri said...

The baskets look great...and I can't wait to see them all put together...those are some great reds on the way!

ranette said...

Love, love, love all of your reds and your finished quilt will be amazing. Good job with all of your blocks, some of the prettiest I've seen.

Patty said...

I'm sure you made the right choice, your reds will go perfectly with your baskets.
I just bought a packet of reds and have the exact same paisley print as you. Of course I have no idea what I'm going to use mine for yet.
Happy sewing. :^)

Pam said...

How lovely!

Seem to have missed your birthday. Many belated good wishes. I do wish I were 40, I would have to say! I'm going to be 60 this year. Gah.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

It's going to look fab! Can't wait to see it finished!