Monday, February 22, 2010

No one wants advice - only corroboration.

John Steinbeck might have been right when he wrote that line in The Winter of our Discontent. But, me... well, I really did want your advice. And so I asked. And so you gave it. Thank you!

And then I went ahead and did whatever I wanted to anyway. As usual.


Maybe I should have gone with the Red Paisley.

I could have used the Love Notes Scroll - I would have had enough after all.

Instead, I dug through my stash and pulled out this tiny red-on-white polka dot to use for the sashing posts.


I think it's just fine, and it looks nice next to the Red Checks and the Love Notes Scroll (which I started adding last night until I got distracted by a present that needed to be wrapped and a new episode of Big Love).

At least now I can move ahead with this quilt top and get it finished sometime soon.

Getting it quilted... well, that's another story altogether. I haven't even pin-basted my Checkerboard quilt top yet because, as it turns out, I don't have enough fabric for the backing. I want something plain and simple - and I don't want to have to piece it this time. I guess I should have got out of my pajamas and gone to the fabric store yesterday after all.

It's after 8:00 pm now and I've yet to get the last borders on A Tisket A Tasket. That's not to say it's been another wasted night - I got creative in the kitchen tonight instead of the sewing room. Hey, it happens... sometimes. I made this for supper. Oh yum! I halved the recipe since we're a small family, but next time I'll make a big batch and freeze some. No photo from my oven; we ate it right up.

Oh... maybe just an hour on the sewing machine before bedtime...

13 comments:

Pat said...

I think your red dots on white is PERFECT, Rachel. You will be really happy with this quilt when it is 100% completed. (And, if you aren't, I will accept responsibility for persuading you to go for a really white look for those posts...and will "force" myself to give that quilt a good home!!! hehehe)

Annie said...

Love the quilt! Took a look at the recipe you used; it looks really scrumptious. Hugs :)

Dogwood said...

You silly lady. Well, you did what you wanted to do. That is what you are supose to do even if you ask us for advise. Anyhow, it looks wonderful.

Or, wow...dinner looks great. I'm coming over!!!!

Hugs, Dogwood

Stacy said...

Yum, I love Mexican food. The quilt looks beautiful. I like those baskets.

I've been trying to remember the quilt Cory and I saw at the show that we both agreed you would love, and finally remembered it was called "Paris." I can't remember much of the detail except it had lots of pink and flowers and was very, very pretty.

Barb said...

Your way is awesome!!!

What Comes Next? said...

lol! Your choice is perfect (you didn't even give it to us as an option so we couldn't corroborate with you!) It looks great against both the sashing and the border. Its going to be a fabulous quilt when yu're finished. Way to go! Oh that recipe looks good! Thanks!

Tangos Treasures said...

LOL that's funny!
Looks very pretty!

Thimbleanna said...

It looks great Rachel! (Love your title/quote!) And I'm so envious that you can watch Big Love -- this is my first year without access to HBO and I'm having serious Big Love Withdrawals!!!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Very nice Rachel. I like the white/red dots.

andsewon said...

Silly gal..it is YOUR top to do with as you please...;-)
Looks lovely to me!
Oh my that supper was yummy.
Now I want some Mexican!!!!
Hugs,
Lola

Sherri said...

Perfect...sometimes just mulling over all the options leads us to another option we hadn't even thought of before!

Patty said...

I think this quilt is gorgeous, good choice to go with the with and red polka dots.

Sara said...

I like the fabric you went with much better than the other choices...

Oh, and dinner certainly looked good.