Friday, February 26, 2010

Today, I focused

I try to revisit my "word of the year" every once in a while. My word for 2010 was "Focus", something that is very hard for me to do most of the time. There seems to be too much going on for me to give my full, undivided attention to any one thing for any length of time.

But today I focused.

Yesterday and today were Teachers' Convention days. I went to sessions yesterday and met friends for lunch. I went to sessions this morning, then skipped lunch and went to the Art Gallery for the afternoon. There was a free tour for teachers, but we were also encouraged to stay after and enjoy the gallery, which I did.

It's a brand new building that just opened on January 31, and it's caused somewhat of a controversy in this city.


I love it! I thought it was a bit strange looking when I saw the architect's proposals before construction began, but my visit today made me a convert.




I freely admit that I'm a wannabe, a dilettante. I know a little about art - I took some art history courses in university and I have a degree in Medieval and Renaissance history, which included the study of quite a bit of (mostly religious) art - but I'm no expert.





And I was enthralled by the audio installation of The Murder of Crows (until some noisy kids came in - who talks in an audio installation? who?).


I sat in that dark room for half an hour, listening. I felt what I was feeling and though what I was thinking and focused on just being there.

It was amazing.

I will go back. I might even buy a membership - unlimited visits for a year. (The OnlyChild has one.)



And when I was done at the Art Gallery, I went shopping. I spent a store credit I had been hanging onto for months and used it for two cute spring tops. And then I went next door to another store where all sale items were another 50% off and I bought two tops and a pair of dress pants for $18.36.

Good day!

8 comments:

Pat said...

I'm glad you had such a nice time!

Barb said...

I love that building, and so glad that you went and will go again. What is the contreversy (didn't spell that right).

Stacy said...

That building is incredible, and so are the exhibits. Love that photograph. Sounds like you had a great day. Art and shopping ... throw in some chocolate and it's just about perfect.

Sara said...

How fortunate you are to have that gorgeous space!!! Yeah, I think you deserve a yearly pass - cause I know you would use it and enjoy it!!!

Got some good buys on clothes I see!!!

Jeanne Oliver said...

What a fascinating building. I love when art buildings are out of the norm.

Duchess of Tea said...

What an incredibly fascinating place. Glad I stumbled upon your blog.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Unknown said...

from the outside it almost looks like darth vaders helmet....it sounds like a wonderful place though!

Dogwood said...

Wowee, what an unusual look building. Sounds like you had a nice time and did some good shopping!

Focus~good challenging word for the year. I continually work on my work Acceptance!

Have a nice relaxing afternoon.